About the Full Moon walks
These Full Moon Walks are an excellent opportunity to see beautiful landscape by the light of the moon. The walks will be short 2-3 hr walks and suitable for most levels of fitness.
You will visit some of the most scenic parts of Wicklow and Dublin, places such as Rathmichael, Carrickgollogan, Ballycorus and many more. If you have never had the opportunity to do some night walking then don’t miss this as it’s an altogether different experience.
About the Walk from Shankill.
The walk starts from Brady’s Pub in Shankill at the sign for the Dublin Mountain Trail. We follow this trail out of Shankill over the motorway and along a quite road towards the old monastic site of Rath Michael. This is one of the oldest early christian sites in Ireland and has some Viking tombstones called the “Rathdown slabs“.
We continue along the trail towards Carrickgollogan which is a hill overlooking the coastline of Dublin and Wicklow.
The walk continues on a forest trail towards the Ballycorus Lead mines Chimney. The trail is very good easy to walk on. We then make our way back on a slightly different trail back to Brady’s Pub.
This is a fantastic walk and easily manageable by most people.
N.B. Another walk may be chosen on the night weather dependent but will be of the same length and time.
- The walk will take approx 2.5 hrs.
- No previous walking experience required.
- These walks are very popular so early booking is essential to confirm your place.
The Guides leading the full moon walk
- All the guides on theses walks are fully qualified and local, so you are in safe hands.
- They will also inform you of some of the local history and folklore of the places you visit along the way.
How do I get to Shankill?
– Drive: Take the N11 from Dublin going south and take the R837 for Shankill. (30 mins drive from city center)
– Public Bus from Dublin:
Public Bus 84/a from Blackrock.
Public Bus 145 from City Centre
Public Bus 155 from City Centre
– DART from Dublin:
Take the DART (local coastal train) traveling south from city centre.
What to Bring
- Walking boots / walking shoes, trainers (mostly on track)
- Head torch or handheld.
- Warm top, gloves, hat.
- Waterproofs (just in case)
- Back pack with spare warm top.
“Can I just say how very very much we enjoyed it! The guides historical commentary and good manners were simply a joy. The night was glorious, the setting sublime.” Martina.