Day Tour of the Boyne Valley – Newgrange
The Boyne Valley is a world heritage site; it goes through the Counties of Meath and Louth in the east of Ireland with the Boyne River flowing through it to reach the sea at Drogheda.
It is without doubt Ireland’s most important historic area with sites and monuments that date back over 5000 years. The story of Ireland and the Irish people can be traced back in this valley from the first early settlers of the Neolithic people and their megalithic tombs to the Celts, their mythology and their Pagan beliefs.
Here you will find over 5000 years of history – the story of Ireland and its people can be traced back through time in this river valley from the first early Neolithic settlers who built the megalithic tombs to the Celts and early Christians. The Vikings, the Norman conquests, the English battles and major Irish rebellions of 1641 and 1798 have all left their unique print on this beautiful valley. There are over 90 megalithic monuments here and we will visit the best known of these – Newgrange and Knowth.
We will visit the medieval town of Trim, Co Meath for a tour of the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland – Trim Castle. This castle was built by Hugh de Lacy over 30 years starting in 1173 and was an imposing symbol of Norman power at the edge of the Pale. The epic movie, Braveheart, was filmed in Trim Castle.
Finishing our day in The Boyne Valley with a visit to the magical Hill of Tara with its history and beautiful views over Ireland’s Ancient East.
About the Tour:
The tour will bring you from the center of Dublin towards the counties Meath and Louth.
The Megalithic sites of the Boyne Valley were designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1993.
Along the way we will visit.
- Newgrange, the best-known Irish passage tomb and dates to c.3, 200BC. We will be able to enter this tomb and see some of the best Megalithic art in Europe – The most impressive of these stones is the highly decorated Entrance Stone. Newgrange monument is astrologically aligned to the Winter solstice.
- Knowth: This is also part of the Bru Na Boinne tour at Newgrange. The Great Mound at Knowth is similar in size to Newgrange and is surrounded by 18 smaller satellite mounds.
(Bru Na boinne includes Newgrange, Knowth and Exhibition and can take approx. 3-4hrs)
- Slane Castle: We will stop at the entrance to Slane Castle for a photo opportunity. This Castle has been in the Conyngham family for over 300 years and was built and designed by James Gandon in 1785. Slane today is known better for large rock concerts and where U2 recorded their “Unforgettable Fire” Album.
- Trim Castle: We will join a tour of the Keep which brings you to the top of the Tower. Hear all about the long and exciting story of the largest Anglo-Norman Castle in Europe. It was also the film location for the movie “Brave Heart” about William Wallace and Scotland’s struggle for independence.
(Please note Trim Castle is closed between 01 Nov to 31 Jan)
- The Hill of Tara: was once the ancient seat of power in Ireland – 142 kings are said to have reigned there in prehistoric and historic times. There are over thirty monuments visible, and probably as many again detected using special non-intrusive archaeological techniques and aerial photography. You will see the Mound of the Hostages, the stone of destiny (Lia Fail), ancient standing stones and many more in this sacred place.
Apart from its important heritage, the Boyne Valley is a truly wonderful area full of natural beauty, mystery and intrigue – a place you will never forget.
“So memorable in ancient history and so rich in monuments of the past is it…. that the history of Ireland might be written in tracing its banks”
(William Wilde, Father of Oscar Wilde – The Beauties of the Boyne, 1849)
- Local Irish qualified Guide with plenty of local knowledge and history.
- Pickup and transport for the day.
- Entrance Fees.
- Meals or drinks.
Note: You Pay these entrance fees on the day.
Cost into Newgrange is Adult: €18, Seniors: €16, Children: (12-17) €12, Family: €48.
Cost into Trim Castle with this tour €4.00
• You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking
• In the event that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email
Save Paper: You do not need to print your confirmation as the Guide will have your name on his list for the tour.
Pickup for this tour is at 09:00am the AIB Bank on Upper O’Connell Street
Please be 10 minutes early
Comfortable walking shoes. (There is not too much walking)
Rain gear just in case.
Q. Is there a stop for Lunch,
A. Yes we stop for lunch along the way (not included in cost
Q. Do we enter Newgrange monument?
A. From April 2020, Newgrange introduced a new limited entry system for sustainability reasons and are offering pre-booked entry only, eliminating walk in options. We will do our utmost to secure entry tickets for all our tours but cannot guarantee this will always be possible. Please rest assured we have a high success rate in obtaining entry ticket.
Q. How do I recognise your tour bus
A. All our buses are white and have “Hilltoptreks” written on them
• A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 48hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
• A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 72hrs in advance.
• No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 3 or more days in advance.
If you cannot make the tour on the date requested and you contact us with in 48hrs of your tour date, then we may be able to provide an alternative date depending on availability.