Online and Outdoor Navigation course
Introduction to map reading and compass work.
This course will be given online as well as a Practical day in the Dublin hills.
The outdoor course is held around the mountains and hills in County Dublin. There are plenty of suitable locations to practice your newly learned skills.
At the end of this course you will have a good understanding of how to read a map and how to use your compass properly for navigating on the hills, although practice does make perfect.
The course is split between online and outdoor sessions.
Online Session: (through Zoom)
- Introduction to your map (we will be using OSI sheet 56 for this course)
- Scales of a map, what they mean. 1:50,000, 1:25,000, best map for Hill Walking.
- Features of a map, contour lines, index and what these are.
- How a map is representative of the ground it covers.
- GPS coordinates of a map and how to read them.
- Introduction to the compass and its parts.
Practical Day in the hills: (Outdoor – Exact location be given)
- How to set your map.
- Recognise features on the landscape from your map.
- Timing and Pacing for measuring distance.
- Using your compass with your map. Taking a bearing for direction to walk.
- Measuring distance from your map and applying this to the ground.
- Using some simple navigation techniques to get to your required location.
- Choosing a safe and suitable route.
The course is given by a recognized Mountain Leader and provider with Mountaineering Ireland.
A lot of the course is spent out on the hills standing about so do dress appropriately.
How do I take part?
- When you sign up for the course you will be sent a zoom link to join the course from your Desktop, laptop from home.
- We recommend that you already have your map Sheet 56 and Silva 4 Type compass.
- You will be emailed some notes and maps that you can use throughout the course.
- The online course will be interactive, so you can ask questions etc.
- The day on the hills is where you can put the theory into practice with your tutor present.
• A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 72hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
• A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 5 Days in advance.
• No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 5 or more days in advance.