Mountain Skills Part I – Oct 12th – 13th 2019
Mountain Skills Part II – Nov 2nd – 3rd 2019
Meeting: 10:30 Lyhnam’s of Laragh
Cost: Part I: €135, Hilltoptreks members €110
- Map features, Contours, Map scales and index.
- Compass work, Taking a bearing.
- What to wear while Hill Walking
- How to keep yourself safe, emergency procedures.
- The course is given by a recognized Mountaineering Ireland Provider.
Mountain Skills Courses: Parts I and II
This is a two day course which is recognised by BOS (Bord Oiliúint Sléibhe). Which is the Irish Mountain Training Board.
This course is designed to give you an introduction to hill walking in Ireland and the skills and confidence to navigate correctly. There is also advice on how to keep safe while walking and hiking.
This course is for your own personal confidence on the hills or a foundation to further your skills towards a leadership qualification.
It will show you some of the skills required to keep you safe while out walking. Such as Map reading and compass work, what to wear on a walk and other equipment advice. Advice on emergency situations and how to handle them.
The Course is run by a qualified and recognized BOS Instructor Terry Lambert who is a qualified instructor with numerous years experience on the mountains.
This course will take place in the Wicklow Mountains over 2 days. Both in a classroom and the outdoors.
The outdoors session gives the chance to put all the theory you will have gained into practice.
Steps towards Qualification would be
- Mountain Skills I
- Mountain Skills II
This course is given by a recognized Mountain Leader and provider with Mountaineering Ireland.
Check out our Blog on what to wear on the hills here – https://www.hilltoptreks.com/blog/hill-walking-clothing
If for any reason due to Covid-19 restrictions, the Mountain Skills course is postponed. Then the course will be held on another date. You will be offered a full refund or re-booked to new date.
• A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 48hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
• A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 3 Days in advance.
• No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 3 or more days in advance.