Map and Compass Navigation courses:
Tuesday Nov 9th. at 7pm (approx 2hrs)
Sunday Nov 14th – Outdoor – Dublin/Wicklow hills: (approx 3 -4 hrs)
Cost: € 55pp.
- Map features, Contours, Map scales and index.
- Compass work, Taking a bearing.
- The course is given by a recognized Mountaineering Ireland Provider.
- Map Sheet 56 and Silva Type 4 compass are best for this course.
Map and Compass Navigation Courses
Introduction to map reading and compass work.
Who is the course for?
Anyone who loves walking or hiking in the outdoors but wants to stay safer. It is a practical hiking and hill walking orienteering and navigation course.
This course is suited to complete beginners but also those with more walking and hiking experience that want to refresh their skill-set.
This Navigation Course will be given online as well as a Practical day in the Dublin, Wicklow hills.
The introduction and theory part of the course will be given online through Zoom.
The outdoor course is held around the mountains and hills in Dublin and Wicklow. There are plenty of suitable locations to practice your newly learned skills.
At the end of this course you will have a good understanding of how to read a map and how to use your compass properly for navigating on the hills.
The course is split between online and outdoor sessions.
Online Session: (Through Zoom).
- Introduction to your map (we will be using OSI sheet 56 for this course)
- Scales of a map, what they mean. 1:50,000, 1:25,000, best map for Hill Walking.
- Features of a map, contour lines, index and what these are.
- How a map is representative of the ground it covers.
- GPS coordinates of a map and how to read them.
- Introduction to the compass and its parts.
Practical Day in the hills:
(Outdoor – Exact location will be given).
- How to set your map.
- Recognise features on the landscape from your map.
- Timing and Pacing for measuring distance.
- Using your compass with your map. Taking a bearing for direction to walk.
- Measuring distance from your map and applying this to the ground.
- Using some simple navigation techniques to get to your required location.
- Choosing a safe and suitable route.
This course is given by a recognized Mountain Leader and provider with Mountaineering Ireland.
How do I take part?
- When you Book the course you will be sent a zoom link to join the on-line course from home.
- We recommend that you already have your map Sheet 56 and Silva 4 Type compass.
- You will be emailed some notes and maps that you can use throughout the course.
- The online course will be interactive, so you can ask questions etc.
- The day on the hills is where you can put the theory into practice with your tutor present.
If for any reason due to Covid-19 restrictions, then the practical will be held on another date in the hills.
• A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 48hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
• A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 3 Days in advance.
• No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 3 or more days in advance.
Compass and map reading full day course
Review of Hilltoptreks
Reviewed 22 July 2020 via mobile
I recommend Terry’s compass and map reading course to anyone who wants to learn more about hill walking and mountain climbing. It was an eye opener and Terry’s depth of knowledge of theory and of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains along with his amiable and generous personality made this a perfect day.
Date of experience: July 2020