Map and Compass Navigation Courses
Introduction to map reading and compass work.
Who is the course for?
Anyone who loves walking or hiking in the outdoors but wants to stay safer. It is a practical hiking and hill walking orienteering and navigation course.
This course is suited to complete beginners but also those with more walking and hiking experience that want to refresh their skill-set.
This Navigation Course will be given online as well as a Practical day in the Dublin, Wicklow hills.
The introduction and theory part of the course will be given online through Zoom.
The outdoor course is held around the mountains and hills in Dublin and Wicklow. There are plenty of suitable locations to practice your newly learned skills.
At the end of this course you will have a good understanding of how to read a map and how to use your compass properly for navigating on the hills.
The course is split between online and outdoor sessions.
Online Session: (Through Zoom).
- Introduction to your map (we will be using OSI sheet 56 for this course)
- Scales of a map, what they mean. 1:50,000, 1:25,000, best map for Hill Walking.
- Features of a map, contour lines, index and what these are.
- How a map is representative of the ground it covers.
- GPS coordinates of a map and how to read them.
- Introduction to the compass and its parts.
Practical Day in the hills:
(Outdoor – Exact location will be given).
- How to set your map.
- Recognise features on the landscape from your map.
- Timing and Pacing for measuring distance.
- Using your compass with your map. Taking a bearing for direction to walk.
- Measuring distance from your map and applying this to the ground.
- Using some simple navigation techniques to get to your required location.
- Choosing a safe and suitable route.